Whether you are in e-commerce business or run a logistics company, you understand the importance of having the right software for your business. Nowadays, enterprises and businesses of any size are looking for a development team that can provide unique software solutions that will solve the problems they face by automating previously tedious tasks and minimizing human errors. But what technology to choose for development?
The weekly news magazine Economist states that Python is becoming the world’s most popular coding language. As you may see, it's becoming a really important tool used across so many areas of software engineering. But what’s about the average Python developer salary? In our article, we have analyzed countries where Python software developers get paid the most, revealed factors that increase the salary of Python Developers, explained the reasons why Python is so popular. Sounds interesting, right? Let’s delve into the details below!
The average Python Developer Salary in the US
Undoubtedly, there are some factors that influence Python developers’ salary - experience, skill set, location, etc. To give you a full understanding of what affects the salary, we’ve conducted thorough research and analyzed salary data from credible sources, such as PayScale, Glassdoor, and ZipRecruiter.
According to ZipRecruiter, the average annual salary of a Python Developer in the United States is $113,889 and about $120,511 based on Indeed source. Below we are going to present statistical data on the average Python Developer Salary in the US that depends on state, city, experience and compared to other programming languages.
The average Python Developer Salary in the US by state
According to recent statistics, it’s worth saying that the level of Python Developers’ salary is the highest in Massachusetts (MA) and New York (NY) - $140,000, $137,817 in California (CA) and $130,000 in Illinois (IL). The lowest salary of Python Developers you can see in Nebraska (NE) $85,000 and Indiana (IN) $87,750. More information about the average salary you can find in the table below:
|State||Average Python Developer Salary|
The average Python Developer Salary in the US by city
Based on the recent statistics, we have displayed information about the average Python developer salary in the US by the city. In Washington, Python developers earn $136,076 annually. Companies from New York pay $135,152, while New Hyde Park employers put the salaries up that is $134,038. Python’s engineers get paid up to $121,000 in Redmond and Los Angeles. The lowest salary is in Portland and Columbus.
- Washington - $136,076
- New York - $135,152
- New Hyde Park - $134,038
- Austin - $125,195
- Redmond - $120,725
- Los Angeles - $120,412
- Portland - $116,161
- Columbus - $114,530
The average Python Developer Salary in the US by experience
It’s not a secret that the salary greatly depends on the level of experience. What’s more, a list of job responsibilities can vary and depends on the employer. Python developers may be responsible for some of the following:
- work in a client-facing application development environment;
- provide influence over a new technical design for highly visible software product;
- create and maintain python components and services that will be integrated with existing applications;
- develop microservices and performant worker processes for the application.
These are not all possible Python developer’s responsibilities, and they depend on the level of experience. That means:
- Junior Python developer’s annual salary is $74,435.
- Middle Python developer’s annual salary is $100,826.
- Senior Python developer’s annual salary is $127,217.
Also, they get additional compensation - a $5,000 cash bonus per year.
The average Python Developer Salary in the US compared to other programming languages
The Python programming language is on the rise and experiencing incredible growth. According to Stack Overflow, Python ranks the fourth among the most popular technologies (39,4%) and the first among the most wanted languages. Now, let’s take a look at the average salary of other programmers in the US according to ZipRecruiter and PayScale:
- Ruby on Rails Developer - $107,413
- .NET Developer - $93,110
- Java Developer - $73,994
- C++ Developer - $71,677
- Perl Developer - $121,428
- PHP Developer - $85,578
Python Developer’s Average Salary Dynamics based on experience
Like most other jobs, Python developers have the following level of experience – Junior, Middle, and Senior that imply different skill set and salaries. Below you can find a table that shows how much Python Developers get paid in the US between 2017 and 2020 in terms of their experience and allows you to see some changes in their salaries.
|Level of experience||2017||2018||2019||2020|
What’s more, the table below shows the salary dynamics of the Ukrainian Python Developers in the IT sector based on DOU:
|Level of experience||2017||2018||2019||2020|
To sum up, you may see a huge gap between the average salaries of Ukrainian and US-based Python engineers. Python developers who work in the US have more high-paying positions while professional engineers from Ukraine who are equipped with extensive knowledge are less paid. That’s why if you want to hire a Python engineer or a team of Python engineers with excellent skills and save on recruitment time, you should opt for the Ukrainian IT market and consider it as a great source of tech talents.
The average Python Developer Salary in Europe
Python remains a sought-after programming language in Europe as well. Thanks to its versatility and ease of coding, it is becoming the top choice for a variety of companies. According to Glassdoor and PayScale, we have found out the following numbers:
- The Python engineers get paid $192,639 in Switzerland.
- The average software engineer salary in Germany is $58,932 while $55,190 in the United Kingdom.
- In Belgium, the salary is around $45,065.
- The average software engineer salary in the Netherlands is $49,520 per year.
- In Denmark, the salary is around $76,526.
Moreover, according to the Stack Overflow analysis, the popularity of Python worldwide is growing. That means the demand for Python developers is expected to rise, and their salaries will rise accordingly.
The average Python Developer Salary in the UK
The UK technology sector is evolving and growing faster than the overall economy. What’s more, London ranks as the second best-paying tech hub in the world behind Silicon Valley in the US. According to the Tech Nation report, the salary of technology workers in the UK 36% more than non-technical workers get paid. The average salary of Python developers in London is $89,940 (£69,273) per year, which is 25% above the national average. The average salary for a Python developer in Manchester is 24.4% above the average salary for all jobs in Manchester which is $45,435 (£34,995). The annual average Python developer salary in other powerful tech hubs are the following:
- London — $89,940 (£69,273)
- Edinburgh — $61,724 (£47,541)
- Cambridge — $71,863 (£55,350)
- Oxford — $61,714 (£47,533)
- Manchester — $55,069 (£42,415)
Also, the salary highly depends on the level of experience that Python developers have:
- Junior Python developer’s annual salary is $39,072 (£30,000)
- Middle Python developer’s annual salary is $78,144 (£60,000 )
- Senior Python developer’s annual salary is $117,217 (£90,000)
The average Python Developer Salary in Germany
Being the most innovative and competitive country in the world, Germany is a technological powerhouse. According to a recent survey, 50% of all of Germany’s startups are based in Berlin. In addition to that, 500 startups have been launched recently, nearly 250 deals have been made, up to 99,400 professional developers are working in Berlin. The average salary for a Software Engineer with Python skills in Berlin is $88,854 (€82,341). While the average salary of Python Developers’ in other cities are the following:
- Berlin — $88,854 (€82,341)
- Hamburg — $59644 (€55,273)
- Munich — $54,255 (€50,279)
Munich is slightly more expensive than Berlin. Innovative, automation and AI companies and tech startups have selected Munich while tech companies in Hamburg more focus on virtual reality, Blockchain technology, and 3D printing, smart city and mobility concepts. The average salary of Python Developers’ based on their experience are the following:
- Junior Python developer’s annual salary is $43,866 (€40,652)
- Middle Python developer’s annual salary is $55,525 (€51,456)
- Senior Python developer’s annual salary is $68,458 (€63,441)
The average Python Developer Salary in Switzerland
The tech industry in Switzerland ranks 10th among its European counterparts. Zurich, Geneva and Lausanne are considered as the largest tech communities, according to the State of European Tech Report. The number of tech companies founded in Switzerland has been steadily growing and the number of software developers is over 150 000. Zurich is known as the Swiss Crypto Valley where there has been the fastest growing technology community involved in blockchain and bitcoin activities.
According to Salaryexplorer, in Zurich, Python Developer earns $117,214 (₣115,000). In Geneva the salary of a Python developer is $201812 (₣198,000) while in Lausanne Python Developer can expect a salary of around $213,024 (₣209,000). In Switzerland, the average Python’s engineer salary is $192,639 (₣189,000) that includes the 13th salary and a bonus. Also, the salary varies in terms of experience:
- Junior Python developer’s annual salary is $74,500
- Middle Python developer’s annual salary is $100,500
- Senior Python developer’s annual salary is $109,000
The average Python Developer Salary in the Netherlands
The Netherlands is one of the largest startup ecosystems in Europe. Amsterdam ranks fourth best global tech city with over 1 650 tech companies and 215 000 professional tech developers. Dutch cities such as Rotterdam, Utrecht, and Eindhoven produce one-third of IT jobs. The national average salary for a Python Developer in the Netherlands is $40,094 (€37,140). In Rotterdam, Python engineers get paid $41,545 (€38,484) while companies in Utrecht pay $78,080 (€72,327). Python software engineers earn $52,953 (€49,052) in Eindhoven. The salary of Python developers highly depends on the level of their experience. Junior Python developer earns $32,386 (€30,000), Mid-level Python developer’s annual salary is $53,977 (€50,000), Senior Python developer gets paid $75,568 (€70,000).
- Junior Python developer’s annual salary is $32,386 (€30,000)
- Middle Python developer’s annual salary is $53,977 (€50,000)
- Senior Python developer’s annual salary is $75,568 (€70,000)
The average Python Developer Salary in Denmark
Danish IT cluster is the third fast-growing industry with a 37% profitable growth. The IT area in Denmark involves over 8 000 companies in general. Moreover, a recent report states that investments in fintech companies in Denmark will reach 168 U.S. million dollars. According to PayScale, the average Denmark software engineer’s salary is $70000. For Junior roles, Denmark pays the highest salaries with Junior Python Developers earning $30,617 (kr300,447). Mid-range Python Developer can expect a salary of around $44,068 (kr432,436) while salaries for Senior Python Developers are $61,199 (kr600,537).
A great number of companies that mainly work in the fields of robotics, acoustics, and cryptography are located in Copenhagen. Software engineers get paid here $107,905 (kr1,058,595). The second largest city in Denmark is Aarhus. Its startup ecosystem is currently growing with the technology and IT sectors. The average salary for a Python Software Developer is $34,686 (kr340,290) in Aarhus. Odense represents Northern Europe’s largest hub and high-tech ecosystem consisting of robot and automation companies. The average Python developer salary in Odense is $56,726 (kr556,506). Aalborg is one of the main tech city hubs with around 9,000 companies and approximately 1,000 new startups. The average salary of Python developers in Aalborg, Denmark is $51,356 (kr503,828).
|Level of experience||Average Salary|
The average Python Developer Salary in Belgium
With a vibrant startup scene, Belgium is a booming hub for the IT sector that opens up excellent opportunities for startups. The average pay for a Python Developer is €71,239 in Belgium. With 400 startups and over 1.150.000 inhabitants, Brussels has the highest tech startup density. Nearly 30% of Belgium’s IT jobs are held in the capital. The average pay for a Python Developer here is €71,239. Junior Python Developers earn $53,660 (€49,728 ) in Belgium. Mid-range Python Developer gets paid $69,553 (€64,456 ) while Senior Python Developers can expect a salary of around $95,370 (€88,381).
- Junior Python developer’s annual salary is $53,660 (€49,728)
- Middle Python developer’s annual salary is $69,553 (€64,456)
- Senior Python developer’s annual salary is $95,370 (€88,381)
Here we have provided all the information about Python developer annual salary in terms of the level of experience.
|Junior Python Developer||Middle Python Developer||Senior Python Developer|
Key factors increasing the salary of Python Developers
There are key factors that impact the salary of Python engineers - a level of experience, type and size of the company, skill set and location.
To say the truth, even if you have excellent technical capabilities, it isn’t enough for Python developer position. Below you can find more detailed information about some of the factors that influence the salary of Python Developers:
- Core (technical) skills: this is a list of some important skills a Python developer should have - Python and knowledge of web frameworks (Django/Flask), object-relational mappers, multi-process architecture, and RESTful APIs.
- Personal (soft) skills: Python developers who can communicate effectively, work collaboratively, and build positive relationships with customers/clients/co-workers are important for companies that look for developers with strong interpersonal skills.
- Problem solving, curiosity and logical thinking: a critical mindset is important for Python developers. They should think critically, know how to solve any problem by breaking it into manageable pieces and analyzing.
- Business mindset: Python developers who can unpack their big-picture thinking and develop code that can be reused and extended later without too many changes are in great demand.
- Additional skills: knowledge of other programming languages like Java/C++, system administration, scripting, ability to work in ML/AI fields, with databases, etc.
- Location: as you might find out geographic areas have pay differentials - Python developer salaries vary from city to city, even from country to country.
However, in some companies, front-end skills can be considered as demanded while the ability to work with databases can be optional.
Why Python Developers’ Salary is growing?
Undoubtedly, skilled Python developers are in great demand. More importantly, their salaries continue to grow. What drives Python developers’ salary growth? What're the reasons? Let’s try to discover. You may know that not only can you use Python in software and web development but also it is essential to implement and integrate modern data science technologies, such as IoT, machine learning, artificial intelligence, data science, etc.
- Artificial intelligence: with a great number of libraries and frameworks, Python is great when there is a need to speed up the development process and save time. Due to its simple syntax, developers can test algorithms fast and easy.
- Data science: being a perfectly equipped with all the toolsets, Python is a good fit for data science that helps to simplify the process of dealing with any kind of complex data and turn it into viable insight.
- Machine learning: being a great choice for Machine Learning (ML), Python enables the developers to opt for the preferred programming styles due to its flexibility. Moreover, they can even combine these programming styles to solve a number of issues they face more productively.
- IoT: as Python supports a great number of libraries including IoT ones, it is a great solution for IoT solutions.
That’s why more and more companies of different sizes are considering Python language for the development of their projects. And also this means that the average Python developers’ salary will keep growing. In addition to that, the recent study shows that salaries for tech workers are on the rise and continue to increase.
|City||Average Salary||% of Increase/Decrease|
Where to hire Python developers?
With the growing popularity of Python, finding experienced Python developers is getting more challenging. Thus many companies opt for the development companies located in Eastern Europe such as Ukraine, Poland, or Belarus. Below you can discover why Ukraine is a viable place for companies who want to avoid or minimize the recruitment headache and find a reliable team of Python developers.
Reason to hire Python developers in Ukraine
- 185 000 IT specialists work in Ukraine.
- Over 4 000 IT companies provide top-notch and robust web solutions to meet any business needs.
- Ukrainian and American main holidays are celebrated simultaneously that simplifies collaboration and communication.
- Up to 130 000 software engineers graduate high school in Ukraine annually.
- Python developers teams can work effectively together across distance and time zones.
- 80% of Ukrainian technicians in the IT sector speak English fluently and confidently.
- Positive business climate to invest in web development solutions that give your business a boost.
Python is becoming the most popular programming language in the world used in the statistical, artificial intelligence, and data science fields, scripting domains, etc. and a good choice for web and IoT development, scientific computing, etc. That’s why a great number of companies are looking for Python developers who can provide them with sophisticated and robust solutions.
If you are looking for a Python development team, you should consider a dedicated team model of collaboration that keeps real-time communication, performance, and management at a high level. Not only can you greatly save on the development costs, but also it helps you to grow your business and boost revenue. We, at DDI Development, have a great pool of talented Python developers who are ready to be a part of your team and deliver top-notch solutions for your business. Don’t hesitate to contact us, if you have any questions.