Cloud Services: one step closer to the digital future
2 years ago
Cloud services are a “faster and better” answer for clients’ needs in the fast-paced world of IT. Evergrowing number of data, applications and devices makes the progress unavoidable. Cloud services are a genie that enormously speeds up the software development processes, gives the ability to manage more tasks and devices, process more data and deliver new products faster.
5 essential characteristics of cloud computing:
- Self service on demand. Cloud infrastructure can self service on user’s demand by changing and defining operational needs: access speed, server’s information processing speed, possibility of independent control over the volume of stored data.
- Elasticity and flexibility. Users interact with cloud computing supplier in a fully automatic mode that allows to manage services quickly.
- Universal access. Cloud infrastructure сovers all categories of terminal devices through a network.
- Accounting of consumption. The infrastructure automatically keeps track of consumption on the move, counting the used resources: the bandwidth, the amount of stored data, the number of users.
- Resource pooling. Cloud computing combines resources in order to serve as many users as possible in one pool, and to make dynamic reallocation of computing capacity among users at the time of interaction with the cloud.
Three operational models of Cloud technology
- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service). A mandatory fee for the hardware resources (servers, Data Operations Centers);
- SaaS (Software as a Service). Monthly fee is charged for providing a computer infrastructure as well as for complex and specialized software.
- PaaS (Platform as a Service). PaaS cloud model includes a monthly fee, not only for the usage of hardware resources, but also for the basic software: operating systems, databases, software testing.
Why is cloud technology a service?
- Subscription fee is charged.
- Computer infrastructure belongs to a cloud provider.
- Using PaaS or SaaS cloud model software also belongs to a provider.
- A cloud provider gives hardware and software for rent without transferring ownership of these resources.
- A provider gives full 24/7 technical support
- Hardware maintaining and scalability are a provider’s duty.
Public + private = hybrid
Hybrid clouds take the best from secure private clouds and powerful and highly-efficient public clouds. This is a perfect combination of two approaches that encourages many enterprises to adopt a cloud-based infrastructure. IT-experts predict that after companies cross the so-called “30% threshold” of workload that will be carried in the cloud, there won’t be any way back to old operational models.
For large corporations, cloud services are a shot right in the bull’s eye. Forget about purchasing software or software licenses for employees, about headache making sure if it allows another user in case of a new hire. Soon, there will be one application instead of software suit, that will allow workers to log into a web service host with all the needed programs. Remote hardware will run any software and process data of any complexity. The only thing you are going to need is the interface system. Cloud network will sort out everything else. Sci-fi? No, reality.
- Your application and data are available from anywhere and any time. You only need a computer connected to the Internet.
- Cloud computing systems could lower the costs of hardware. No more need to upgrade your computer increasing your memory capacity, hard drive space, processor performance. Everything will be reduced to a terminal with input devices.
- No more purchasing of numerous software applications. Just a fixed payment. That’s all.
- It’s not your problem where to store servers and databases, everything is remote.
- Security. Corporate data may cost millions, so handing it out could be a huge risk that really worries companies’ executives. Taking this into account cloud providers will fight to death for their reputation and have enough of security ways.
- Privacy. As it is possible to access your data and application anywhere privacy could be endangered. The solutions are advanced authentication techniques and authorization when access is only given to applications necessary for the job.
There are quite philosophical questions about cloud computing. Who is the true owner of the data? Does the provider really own the space it gives? Could a provider deny access for a user to the data? Those questions are still debated.
In perspective, cloud technology could give rise to autonomous computing, which would be self-maintaining and self-repairing. It augurs end to IT maintenance, and embodies the deepest fears of some writers of intelligent machines independent from people. But the are a lot of optimistic predictions that are expressed in today’s trends of cloud computing.
Five Trends of the Cloud Technology
- Clouds will initiate the switch of investment models, increase the agility of the processes and decrease overall costs and complexity.
- Hybrid clouds environment is the future for the enterprises.
- General tendency for the Cloud Service Brokerage will gain momentum during next few years.
- The applications are going to be cloud-centered according to the common trend.
- Cloud computing concepts will greatly affect the corporate operational models and data center.
The opportunities of cloud services for average users, mobile and web application developers and enterprises are amazing, and the horizon of the possible is still far away.
And if you are looking for a software development company to embody your cloud ideas - we are here for you.