Elearning is changing due to global economic and social change, industry diversification and increased competition. Technological advancements have a great impact on the way people are learning. A sophisticated and affordable E-learning platform can improve the learning experience, offer dynamic interactions between learners and teachers.
Client and Requirements
Our client is a leading Australian business organisation that looked for a development company to build an e-learning platform, named Everyday English, for a business. To help people around the world to learn English in an easy, enjoyable and affordable way was a key driver for the platform implementation.
The main concept was to develop an online English language platform that will be used by 18-40 years old’s who are learning English as a second language, primarily those who live in Japan, Korea, China, US, UK, Canada, Australia.
- Our team managed to develop the best online content that helps people learn and improve their English in a quick turnaround time.
- The client wanted us to develop an admin panel, payment gateway, segmenting, social media, retargeting, funnel analysis, traffic statistics.
- The client was very particular about the admin panel to upload videos and add/remove access.
- The e-learning platform should be responsive to access quality content and lessons in an easy and affordable way from any device (as opposed to spending lots of many in language schools).
- Facebook, Wistia were integrated to drive people to the website and host the videos.
- Payment gateway integration - Stripe - allows charging your customers' credit/debit card directly from the website.
- The free trial was provided as a custom solution.
- Traffic statistics was used to see where people are coming from, analyse the funnel to measure conversion, calculate the cost of acquisition and retention rates.
- Scrum methodology was used while e-learning platform development to be more focused on the client involvement, flexible planning, current estimate, risk mitigation in order to complete the project effectively and successfully.
- The following technologies and tools were applied while development: Google Analytics, Intercom, Mixpanel, Python, Django, Wistia.
- Group/community features, badges, achievements and level/status unlocking are likely to be implemented in the near future.
Major Project Features
Based on the statistics by 2019 video will be responsible for 80% of the internet traffic in the world. So the strategy was to implement video as a main part of the e-learning platform.
The video, when applied well, has great opportunities for English learners. The use of interactive video is a great way for users to learn and reflect on learning content, and we can expect to see more of this.
Wistia service was used to host video content, control who has access to it, see who has watched it, and measure how much they have watched. It led to the platform's traffic growth, improving conversion rates, and increasing overall engagement with video content.
Customer segmentation was used to get a deeper understanding of the customers' needs as every customer is unique and should be targeted with relevant messages.
A customer segmentation model leads to the effective allocation of marketing resources and the maximization of cross-selling and upselling opportunities. It helps improve customer service and assist in customer loyalty and retention.
How it works:
- It was identified the key differentiators in order to divide learners into groups to be targeted.
- Learners were divided into groups based on an account plan (free, basic, professional and premium).
- Special offers and personalized messages were designed and sent to encourage customers.
Also, you can read: How to develop LMS from scratch
Funnel analysis was used to understand how users are successfully navigating a defined path in your product and where they are dropping off. Our team used tools like Google Analytics and Mixpanel for funnel analysis within e-learning platform in order to understand where your English learners are coming from, which sources are most valuable, which pages convert the best, and how your content marketing is performing.
It is reported that a customer tells an average of 16.5 other potential customers about a product they like. Based on statistics a free product trial was provided to show potential learners what the product or service can do and they can try it before making a purchase.
With a short trial offer our client is widening his learners base, creating more loyal learners by offering the mentioned feature. This will definitely lead to more learners engagement in the long run.
The payment method is the gateway between the learner’s purchase and an ability to earn a profit. It may be the main factor to decide whether potential learners make a purchase or not. This is extremely important when implementing a digital solution - e-learning platform.
Stripe payment gateway was selected in order to provide payment solution - accept payments over the Internet. It focuses on providing the technical, fraud prevention, and banking infrastructure required to operate online payment systems.
DDI Development team successfully implemented intuitive and consistent service - Intercom. Its features provide three user-oriented objectives: acquisition, success and support. It helped our client:
- monitor who was browsing your platform in real time and how long a certain learner lingered on a page;
- prioritize learners and recommend targeted service;
- track how visitors interacted with e-learning platform;
- give a comprehensive list of who signed up to the platform, and who hadn’t been active.
Our team helped to create the strategy around key moments in the lifecycle emails. These emails are timely and contextual that helps users go through their journey with e-learning platform.
We have identified the flow of the onboarding process and aligned emails with the actions you want the learners to take. We have done correct lifecycle emails that brought learners to full learning cycle.
There is a standard Django function that can be applied if it is required to send e-mails. It can be used in different variations and depends on the kinds of queries.
DDI Development team has elicited and analysed client’s specification requirements in order to implement the learning solution knowledge sharing platform with the following effect:
- Simplified and scalable learning process.
- Engaging learners through content, prompt referrals and re-engage inactive users.
- Providing highly- secured payment with Stripe integration.
- A free trial greatly increases the base of potential learners.
- Intercom integration helps follow the learners’ journey and highlight repeated opportunities to add value to the learners’ interaction.